Lately, we have had an influx of patients with fibroid tumors in the office. Fibroid tumors are almost always benign and can occur in the uterus or on the outside of the uterus. In Chinese medicine, we consider them a stagnation of phlegm and heat. On an energetic level, fibroids are always a sign of a chronic swallowing of emotions that eventually become lodged in the reproductive organs causing stagnation. If large enough, fibroids can inhibit implantation of an embryo in the uterine wall. In addition to Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, I also recommend doing Castor Oil packs, they are a wonderful tool. I’ve learned over the years that Castor Oil packs can be used not only for fibroids, but for any kind of stagnation in the abdomen. It’s also a great way to detox the lower organs.
Castor Oil Pack instructions:
· Three layers of undyed wool or cotton flannel large enough to cover the affected area
· Castor oil
· Plastic wrap or saran wrap cut 1-2″ larger than the flannel (can be cut from a plastic bag)
· Hot water bottle or heating pad.
· Container with lid
· Old clothes and sheets. Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding.
1. Place the flannel in the container. Soak it in castor oil so that it is saturated, but not dripping.
2. Place the pack over the affected body part.
3. Cover with plastic.
4. Place the hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack. Leave it on for 45-60 minutes. Rest while the pack is in place.
5. After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a dilute solution of water and baking soda.
6. Store the pack in the covered container in the refrigerator. Each pack may be reused up to 25-30 times.
Frequency of use
It is generally recommended that a castor oil pack be used for 3 to 7 days in a week to treat a health condition or for detox.