They are yummy, satisfying and so, so good for you!
1) High in Potassium- Avocados actually have more potassium than bananas, a food we often think of initially when we want to increase out potassium intake. Potassium functions to build muscles, synthesize proteins, control electrical activity of the heart and to maintain acid-base balance in the body.
2) Great source of Vitamin C & E. Both are wonderful antioxidants, which function to neutralize the effects of free-radicals (substances that damage the body’s cells) and have a role in disease prevention.
3) Carotenoids are packed in the darker, outside layer of the flesh of the avocado. Carotenoids fight against AND prevent cancer
4) High in fiber. Essential for good digestive health.
5) High in Magnesium- assists with nutrient absorption. Eating great is the first step, but it is also important to make sure that you can absorb the goodness from what you eat.
Easy to include avocados into your meals- add to salads, put in smoothies, mash up and mix with brown rice. A on-the-go snack is to grind fresh pepper onto ½ an avocado and spoon it out with crackers or tortilla chips.